7017 Video Surveillance
Proposed: December 7, 2020
Adopted: January 25, 2021
Reference: School Act, 74.01 Video Surveillance
For reasons of enhancing the safety of students, staff and others on school premises and deterring destructive acts, the Board authorizes the use of video surveillance equipment on School District property where circumstances have shown that it is necessary.
A recording is recognized to be subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA).
Before video surveillance is introduced at a new site, a written rationale must be provided to the Superintendent of Schools.
Installation of video surveillance related to this policy shall follow the relevant School Act requirements as listed here:
- A board may install and operate a video surveillance camera in a school facility or on school land for the purposes of protecting
- the safety of individuals in a school facility or on school land,
- an individual’s belongings in a school facility or on school land, or
- school property with the prior approval of the parents’ advisory council for the school where the board proposes to install and operate a video surveillance camera.
(2) A parents’ advisory council may make recommendations to a board to install and operate a video surveillance camera in a school facility or on school land for the purposes set out in subsection (1).
(4) Subsections (1) to (3) do not apply to the installation and operation of a video surveillance camera in a school facility or on school land on a temporary basis for a specific investigative purpose.
- Video surveillance camera locations must be authorized by the building administrator (school principal or building supervisor), or officers of the School District. Only authorized administrators or service technician staff shall have access to the equipment and controls;
- Video surveillance cameras shall not be used to monitor areas where individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Such areas shall include, but shall not be limited to, change rooms, washrooms and private conference/meeting rooms;
- For safety and security reasons, video cameras may be installed on buses.